Thursday, April 30, 2009

A watched pot never boils

No picture today, just frustration...

On Tuesday, we pitched the largest piece of business that will come up in Russia this year.

We were great. Honestly, the idea we put on the table was just fantastic. I set up the meeting by telling the 12 (!) members of the pitch committee that we didn't expect them to buy anything, but that they should be excited by our creative thinking.

I think they were. Given that we were the fifth of six agencies to pitch, at least we were at the very least, light relief. At least I left thinking we had done the best we could do and now it's up to them to decide.

And I was told that they want to make the decision today. So, I was woken up by a text from the client asking me to call. Caffeine and adrenaline pumping, I made the call. He wanted.... more clarification about our proposal and the team structure. And no clues from him beyond that.

That was 4 hours ago...

Still no word. If pitching is the high in the ad business, the waiting is awful. I feel sick to my stomach - it's like being a teenager waiting for that pretty girl to call you because she said she would. Damn her...I didn't fancy her much anyway.

But this is worse. If we lose, I'll be heartbroken. But I'll also tell myself that it isn't the end of the world. BUT, if we win, it radically changes our business for the better. And in the current crisis, it's a huge opportunity.

This isn't like your team needing a goal or a try in the last few minutes of a game. In the immortal words of Bill Shankly, Liverpool FC manager; "It's not a matter of life and death. It's more important than that."

I'll let you know...

1 comment:

  1. the problem is winners don't like losing..and we can't win them all( fact). sad but true and painful

    your description of the pain of this process is poetic....

    the clients who don't get/buy/share your baby ...which is what a pitch idea becomes...

    the fools, the fools

    ReplyDelete